Make DIY Harry Potter Potions to make ornaments for your Christmas tree or Halloween tree, or Harry Potter potions for a party! You can download free printable Harry Potter Potion Labels and all you need is a few simple craft supplies! Every Harry Potter fan will love these awesome DIY Harry Potter potions!
DIY Harry Potter Potions
If you’re a huge Harry Potter fan, you’ll love these awesome potion bottle ornaments that you can DIY! The potions in Harry Potter are so magical and they make the perfect decoration on my Harry Potter Christmas tree.
I also use them for Halloween decorations, and they would be great as favors for a Harry Potter birthday party! You could even use it as a party craft for kids – have every kid make their favorite Harry Potter potion, or invent their own!
Harry Potter Potions
Here are the Harry Potter potions that I made. They are some of my favorite potions from the Harry Potter books, and some of the most popular:
- Amortentia (Love Potion)
- Draught of Living Death
- Polyjuice Potion (Transfiguration Potion)
- Draught of Peace
- Felix Felicis (Liquid Luck Potion)
- Floo Powder
- Veritaserum (Truth Potion)
- Elixir of Life
All of the designs are hand drawn, and I printed them on Printable Sticker Vinyl Sheets then cut them out with my Cricut. You can see the full Print then Cut tutorial in the Harry Potter Potion Labels Printable post.
If you’d like to try to make your own stickers, I have a tutorial for How to Make Stickers with Procreate on your iPad.
Harry Potter Potion Ingredients
You can make these ornaments, but they can be made in larger bottles for decorations, or without eye hooks as small party favors. Use your imagination!
- Potion Bottles (I used simple plastic bottles from Amazon – there are tons of options!)
- Glitter (I found that chunky glitter or a mixture of chunky and fine glitter work best)
- Clear Liquid Glue (Glycerin will also work)
- Ink Jet Printer
- Printable Adhesive Vinyl (I use this paper for all of my printable stickers)
- Cricut or Silhouette Machine (if using print then cut function)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Eye Hooks (if making potion bottle ornaments)
How to Make Harry Potter Potions
Making the DIY potions is super easy! Collect your favorite glitter – I tried to find glitter to represent the potion as described in the books or movies. For example, I used a mixture of gold glitter for Felix Felicis (“liquid luck”). The Felix Felicis potion label is my favorite!
And for Floo Powder I used a mixture of black glitter with stars. I love this one!
Here is how to make glitter potion bottles: Fill 1/4 of each bottle with clear liquid glue. Fill the rest with warm water, leaving room at the top to add glitter. Stir until the water and glue are completely combined. Alternatively, you can make the glue and water mixture in a larger container and pour into the bottle with a funnel.
Add glitter and swirl to mix.
Use hot glue to place a thin band around the cork stopper and push into the bottle to seal. Run another band of glue around the top edge of the bottle to add an extra seal. Let the glue harden completely.
To make a potion bottle ornament, screw a small eye hook into the cork stopper.
Use ribbon or an ornament hanger to hang.
The glue will help to suspend the glitter, giving it a “snow globe” type magical effect!
The glitter will fall over time, but you can turn the potion bottle over and mix to re-suspend it!
Harry Potter Potions DIY FAQ:
What to Fill Potion Bottles With?
I used the clear glue because that’s what I had on hand. You can also use vegetable glycerin, which is what I use to make my DIY Snow Globe Tumblers! How cute would a potion bottle tumbler be with the printable Harry Potter Potion Labels?
What Color Glitter Should You Use for each Harry Potter Potion?
Here are some ideas for glitter potion colors. I will include ideas for mica powder, because I think those would be a great addition:
- Felix Felicis – fine gold glitter and/or gold mica powder
- Amortentia – pink, hot pink, or red (or a combination!)
- Draught of Living Death – white glitter or mica powder, or silver and black glitter
- Polyjuice Potion (Transfiguration Potion) – dark green glitter or a combination of lime green and emerald green glitter
- Draught of Peace – light blue glitter or holographic glitter
- Floo Powder – black mica powder with holographic stars, or black glitter with starts
- Veritaserum – a mixture of gold and green glitter, or gold and blue glitter
- Elixir of Life – red fine and large glitter, or red and gold glitter
- Skele-Gro – white and silver glitter
Make sure to pin this post to your favorite Harry Potter, Halloween, or Christmas board on Pinterest!