Introducing the newest addition to your holiday wardrobe – Grinch tie dye shirts! These DIY shirts are fun and festive, and are the perfect way to show off your love for the iconic Dr. Seuss character and spread holiday cheer wherever you go!
Grinch Tie Dye
The Grinch is one of my favorite Christmas characters! My kids and I make a tradition out of watching all of the movie and TV versions every year. One of my most popular Christmas posts is my Merry Grinchmas Free SVG!
RELATED POST: Free Stink Stank Stunk Grinch SVG File
If you’re unfamiliar, the Grinch is a beloved character from the classic children’s book, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” written by Dr. Seuss. In the story, the Grinch is a grumpy, green creature who lives in a cave on a mountain overlooking the town of Whoville. Despite his attitude, the Grinch has a soft spot for the Whos, and ultimately learns the true meaning of Christmas.
Grinch tie dye t-shirts are a fun and festive way to show off your love for the iconic Dr. Seuss character and spread holiday cheer. These shirts are perfect for wearing to holiday parties, Christmas shopping, or simply lounging at home.
RELATED POST: DIY Retro Christmas Shirt Ideas
Making your own Grinch tie dye shirt is a fun and easy DIY project that is sure to add some holiday cheer to your wardrobe. They are perfect for beginners or can be fun for experienced tie dye crafters. You can even try tie dying colored shirts!
With just a few simple materials and a little bit of creativity, you can make your own Grinch tie dye shirt and show off your love for the iconic Dr. Seuss character.
Materials You Need to Make a Grinch Tie Dye T-Shirt
If you’re new to tie dye, you will need a few basic supplies. You can definitely go out and grab a Tie Dye Kit from Amazon or another retailer, but you will get the best results with the following supplies:
- Cotton or Natural Fabric Shirt (or other blank fabric items)
- Fiber Reactive Dye (I used red, green, and lime green)
- Soda Ash
- Rubber Bands or String
- Squeeze Bottles
- Urea (helps dissolve dye and retain moisture)
- Wire Rack
- Metal Sheet Pan
- Plastic Sheet to cover work surface
- Ziploc Gallon Storage Bags or Plastic Wrap
Keep in mind that all of the shirts that I made for this post used professional fiber reactive dye. Results may vary depending on the dye you use!
Common fabric dye works best with cotton or natural fabric (like rayon, hemp, etc.) Polyester fabrics will not work with standard tie dye kits or fiber reactive powder dyes.
How to Make a Grinch Tie Dye Shirt
No matter what pattern you will make, the basic tie dye steps remain the same.
- First, prep your shirt with water or soda ash as directed in the dye instructions.
- Then create the design for your shirt by folding and tying it into sections with rubber bands or string.
- Apply the dye and let sit in a plastic bag for a minimum of a few hours or up to 24 hours to develop.
- Then you will rinse, unfold, and wash your tie die shirt in the washing machine to reveal your beautiful pattern!
- To care for your shirt, wash it separately in cold water and tumble dry on low heat. With proper care, your Grinch tie dye shirt will stay vibrant and festive for seasons to come.
You can create different patterns by folding, twisting, and tying your shirt in different ways. Where you have folded and tied the shirt will create areas of the shirt that will resist the dye you apply and stay white.
Grinch Tie Dye Designs
I designed two different shirts for my kids to wear. One is a really easy design that my 5 year old made all by himself, and the other is a little harder but REALLY fun once you get the hang of it!
For a classic Grinch-inspired look, I created a simple spiral t shirt with lime green dye.
I let my youngest son draw circles of the lime green dye on the prepared shirt. The best part about using one color is that he really couldn’t screw it up!
The simple spiral is the perfect base for a Grinch design. I added a design from my shop, but you could add any design you’d like with HTV. Even a Grinch Face would be PERFECT on it!
Grinch Heart Shirt
Make a Grinch tie dye shirt that shows how much his heart grew! This festive red and green shirt is so unique that everyone will be begging to know where you got it!
You can make a heart design on your tie dye shirt by folding your shirt in half and then folding and tying it off in the middle in a heart shape. For the folding pattern, make sure you head to my Tie Dye Patterns post (it has a video, too!) For the rest of the shirt, I followed a bullseye pattern in alternating lime and emerald green dye.
The result is the perfect Grinch inspired tie dye shirt:
And you can add a Grinch design with your Cricut and HTV to make it even more special!
- xTool Screen Printer Review: Set Up, How to Use, and Free Designs
- DIY Personalized Family Christmas Ornament with a Laser
- DIY Taylor Swift Advent Calendar
- Free Printable Grinch Coloring Pages for Christmas
- How to Make a Simple Shaker Christmas Ornament with a Cricut
Whether you are a fan of the classic holiday tale or just looking for a fun DIY project, this tie dye tutorial is a great way to get into the holiday spirit and show off your creativity. Happy tie-dying!
Don’t forget to pin this Grinch Tie Dye Tutorial to your favorite Christmas board on Pinterest!