If you like the Pottery Barn Glitter Letter Christmas ornament but need a different style to match your decor, make your own! Get the tutorial for an Easy DIY Glitter Letter Ornament and add a little sparkle to your Christmas tree.
If you’ve been following along, I’m co-hosting Glitter Week on Craft Lightning with The Country Chic Cottage and 30 Minute Crafts. We are sharing ALL things glitter from some of our favorite craft bloggers. In addition to sharing other posts, I’m crafting with glitter all week and sharing my tutorials for different glitter crafts.
Click the links below to see all of the DIY glitter projects from this week:
- How to Make an Easy Glitter Ornament – with the best glue I’ve found for making them!
- Easy DIY Glitter Christmas Card
- Christmas Lights Banner – with a FREE SVG!
- Frozen Movie Inspired Glitter Slime Recipe
At the end of this post, you’ll also find links to some more Glitter projects from other bloggers – so don’t forget to check them out!
Glitter Letter Christmas Ornament
One of my favorite places to buy Christmas ornaments is Pottery Barn. I have no less than 6 large Christmas trees at my house (yes, they’re all themed, and yes, I’m totally ridiculous), so I’m constantly on the hunt for new ornaments. Last year while I was shopping, I saw the German glitter letter ornaments, and I immediately thought about making one for my youngest daughter! She has white tree in her room with loads of pink and pastel ornaments, so I wanted to make one to match. Glitter week was the perfect excuse to make this quick and easy ornament!
This DIY Glitter Ornament is SO easy to make. I’m going to make them for all of my kids in their initials and colors to coordinate with their Christmas trees.
Supplies to Make DIY Glitter Letter
Here are the supplies you need to make these easy glitter ornaments. I used my Cricut machine to make my letter – but you could definitely just cut it by hand.
- Cricut Machine (Explore Air 2 or Maker will work) or Silhouette Cameo
- Kraft Board in Natural
- Mod Podge (you can use other craft glue, just make sure it dries clear)
- Glitter (I used this chunky glitter from Target)
- Gold and White Twine
My co-hostess Angie, from The Country Chic Cottage made 5 Glitter Crafts that you’ll also love:
- DIY Christmas Potholders
- Christmas Fairy Garden in 15 Minutes or Less
- How to Make Glitter Stick to Wood
- DIY Christmas Tree Decorations with Silver Leaf
- Initial Ornament Made with Glitter Paint
How to Make Letter Christmas Ornament with Glitter
Use a cutting machine to make this craft REALLY simple. Just find a block letter font – I used Chip Decor in Cricut Design Space – and slice two little circles out for where the twine or ribbon will go. I sized my letter to approximately 4.5″ tall.
If you’re using Cricut Design Space, you can get directly to my project here: Glitter Letter Christmas Ornament
I cut the ornament out of Kraft board – it’s thick enough to be stable, but thin enough my Cricut Explore Air 2 cut it easily with the fine point blade. If you’re cutting by hand, I suggest using a thin cardboard.
After you’ve cut your ornament, next is the easy part – Glitter! All you have to do is paint your letter with Mod Podge and sprinkle with glitter.
I added Mod Podge and glitter is small batches so the glue didn’t dry before I could put on the glitter. It only takes a minute or two to do the whole letter.
After you get the entire letter covered in glitter, let dry.
I decided to go back and add a second layer of glitter on top of the first. I used a heavy coat of Mod Podge to add extra glitter coverage – and it dries clear, so you’ll never see it!
Once it dries, add twine or ribbon through the holes and you’re done! Without drying time, this craft lightning project takes less than 10 minutes!
- Another Glorious Morning Makes Me Sick SVG
- Free Tailgate SVG File
- Free You Are So Loved SVG
- DIY Rainbow Wall Decal with Cricut Joy
- Free Let’s Go Camping SVG
Check out these Glitter Crafts by other Craft Lightning Bloggers:
- 5 Minute Glitter Earrings by Rae Gun Ramblings
- Glitter Snowflake Maternity Shirt by Doodlecraft
- Kitschy DIY Bird Ornament by 365 Days of Crafts
- DIY Ombre Glitter Ornaments by South Georgia Style
- DIY Gumball Machine Ornament by Brooklyn Berry Designs
- Personalized Snowflake Ornament by Laura’s Crafty Life