Coconut Cream Pie is one of my favorite desserts and I’m excited to share my recipe with you. I love coconut desserts in general, but coconut cream pie with homemade custard is one of my all-time favorites. This is the BEST coconut cream pie recipe that I have: it has tons of whipped cream, toasted coconut, and custard! It’s perfect for Spring desserts, Easter desserts, or any time of the year, really.
Easy Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
When planning for a holiday celebration or family dinner, I always try to pick out some new recipes as well as some tried and true favorites. This recipe is one of them. Coconut Cream Pie has been a family favorite for decades and always makes an appearance at holidays (especially Easter), picnics, and sometimes just Sunday dinner. Pie made from scratch can sound difficult, but it’s actually pretty easy. And the little bit of effort is definitely worth it. You’ll be making homemade custard all of the time!
There’s something about toasted coconut flakes that just makes me happy. If you asked me to eat a spoonful out of the bag, I would turn you down immediately, but when you bake it in the oven, the flakes come out all crispy and so so tasty! It’s amazing how much different coconut flakes taste when toasted!
Related Post: FREE Eat More Pie Thanksgiving SVG File
During the winter, flowers are definitely a bright spot on my counter. And they look so pretty with my pie!
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
Traditional Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9″ baked pie crust pre-made or from scratch
- 1 1/4 cups sweetened coconut flakes
- 3 cups half and half
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toast coconut flakes until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes, stirring once. Set aside.
- Place crust in pie plate and pierce with a fork all over the bottom and sides of the pie crust. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Place half and half, eggs, sugar, flour and salt in a heavy bottomed sauce pan and whisk to fully combine. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, bringing the mixture to a boil. It will start to thicken and turn into a pudding consistency. Cook for 1-2 minutes more and remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Stir 1 cup of the toasted coconut flakes into the pudding. Put pudding into pie crust and let cool. Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours to completely cool.
- Before serving, place heavy whipping cream in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Turn on medium speed and whisk until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and whisk until cream has formed stiff peaks.
- Spread whipped cream over cooled pie and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of coconut flakes.
- Cut into slices to serve.
Easy Tricks for Making Homemade Coconut Cream Pie
Some simple tricks to make this pie even easier: use a pre-made store bought crust, and instead of whipping the cream, use cool whip! I promise, everyone will still love your pie!