Try a unique and gourmet take on traditional cereal treats with Key Lime Pie Rice Krispie Treats! Perfect for spring and summer holidays and parties, everyone will love this sweet take on a popular treat!
I absolutely LOVE everything about Key Lime Pie, and I’m well known in my family for seeking out the best version wherever we travel. My favorite “regular” treat is definitely Rice Krispie Treats, so I decided to make a mashup of my two favorite desserts. This sweet and slightly tart recipe satisfied my craving for both treats!
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
If you haven’t tried experimenting with Rice Krispie treats before, this is a great way to start! It is truly hard to screw up these yummy rice krispie cakes! You can mix up the flavors for holiday specific or party themes, like I did with these Rice Krispie Dinosaur Eggs!
I started with the basic Rice Krispie Treats recipe right off the cereal box. It’s such a classic and fool proof recipe, I knew it would be easy to manipulate and still come out perfectly.
Traditional Rice Krispie Treats are made with Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, and butter. They’re so simple! I added the flavors of Key Lime Pie with graham crackers, white chocolate, and real limes but kept the integrity of the classic recipe so ANYONE can make these treats in just a few minutes.
Ingredients for Key Lime Rice Krispie Treats
Before you get started, make sure you have these ingredients in your kitchen!
- Rice Krispies Cereal
- Fresh Lime
- Graham Crackers
- White Chocolate Chips
Tips for Homemade Key Lime Pie Rice Krispie Treats
The first tip is simple: make sure you don’t burn the marshmallows when you’re melting them on the stove. Turn your fire down and melt the butter and marshmallows slowly.
Get yourself a Microplane grater – I use mine all of the time and it’s the fastest way to get tiny pieces of lime zest!
When you’re placing the finished treat mixture into the pan to cool, make sure you spray your pan with baking spray AND ALSO spray a little on your spatula or fingers to press the treats into the pan!
Refrigerate the whole pan of treats for 20-30 minutes so they get a little hard. They will be much easier to cut!
Key Lime Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
Key Lime Pie Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 10 oz package marshmallows (or 4 cups mini marshmallows)
- 5 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 cup graham crackers, crushed
- 1 whole lime (zest and juice)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Coat a 13x9x2" pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- Melt butter in heavy bottomed saucepan over low heat.
- Add marshmallows, lime zest, and lime juice. Stir until melted and thoroughly combined. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cereal and graham crackers, then add white chocolate chips. Stir to mix.
- Press evenly into prepared baking pan with a spatula.
- Place in refrigerator for 20-30 minutes or until cool and set. Cut into even squares and serve.